Starting September 2023, the Distributed Design Residency at Happylab Vienna is happening again! For six months, creative talents working at the intersection of design and the maker movement will be supported to realize their ideas in Vienna’s biggest makerspace. You can still apply here until June 10th, 2023.
What is the residency all about?
The goal of the residency is – depending on the current project status – the realization of an idea, first prototypes or a small series, which will be exhibited at Happylab in March 2024. There are no limitations concerning the area the project is from – design, fashion, art, technical making, or something completely different – you are more than welcome to apply for the program.
The Distributed Design Residency at Happylab includes a package individually tailored to the needs of the participants:
- 24/7 access to the machines at Happylab (3D printer, laser cutter, CNC router, wood & metal workshop,…).
- Contingent of free trainings and workshops in the makerspace
- Project-related consulting by experts
- Studio space at the Happylab co-working space incl. meeting room
- Access to our network of clusterpartners (material suppliers, funding programs,…) incl. discounts & benefits
- Promotion and visibility of the project through Happylab communication channels and partnerships
- Exchange with the Happylab community as well as designers and makers from all over Europe via the Distributed Design Platform.
Who can apply?
Whether you are a designer with no prior knowledge in digital fabrication, a maker with a passion for designing stuff, a fashion design student or you come from a totally different background – as long as you have an idea for a project you would like to pursue in the makerspace in Vienna, you are invited to apply for the residency!
Throwback to the first round of the Distributed Design Residency (September 2022 – February 2023)
From September 2022 to February 2023, the first round of the Distributed Design Residency took place at Happylab. The eight residents made great progress with their projects, created prototypes, and produced their first small batches. The results were impressive projects at the intersection of design and making, which were exhibited in March 2023 in Happylab’s makerspace. You can read more about the projects in this blogpost.
Open call by Happylab Vienna