- Team members
- Fabrizio De Paolis Laura Tardella
- 3d 3dmodeling 3dprinting lamp lampshade smart custom light
Clam is a 3D printed parametric lightshade designed to be customized from the user before purchase.
Clam is a lampshade whose simple look hides an unexpected soul. As well as its name (from Latin "secretly, in disguise, covertly"), Clam exploits and highlights the possibilities of 3D printing, using properly defined cavities within its thickness to create a totally invisible texture. The result is a magical and unexpected effect, in which the apparent linearity and softness of the surfaces reveal its true identity only through light.
Designed to be fully customizable in size and shape can be partially 3D modeled from the user thaks to a parametric configurator (WIP not available to public right now)
It can be 3D Printed from a service point a fablab or a maker with a 3D printer.
At first this project was tought to be a way to sell directly the lampshades to the public but today we are working to distribute just the file passing through the parametric configurator (WIP) so that costs can be reduced and lampshades can be locally manufatured.
- Does your design take social and cultural challenges and human wellbeing into consideration?
Production philosophy is about numbers. The more, the better. This could have been real years ago but today we need to understand that some kind of high mass production is no longer affordable in terms of environment.
- Does your design support sustainable production, embodying circular or regenerative design practices?
In this way is possible to produce different objects without molds, specifc tools and plant costs
- Does your design use principles of distribution and open source?
Distributing the file instead of the fisical product we can encourage users to print and sell the product themselves helping at some point to activate a slow and local market.
- Does your design promote awareness of responsible design and consumption?
"Produce but Reduce" is our goal.
Clam can be taylor made at the order without the need to have a warehouse full of hundreds of identical products.