- Team members
- circular economy bioplastics valorization of the territory innovative materials aesthetics local materials responsible material craft customization disassemblable regenerative system local community
The Autunno table was created by combining the principles of circular economy and sustainability.
The project was inspired by the research and the use of innovative materials - bioplastics - to develop a unique product that could combine sustainability, innovation, and functionality while conveying a clear message of environmental protection.
"Autunno" is composed of two main parts: the upper top created with bio-plastic and local wood scraps and the lower structure in polished metal characterized by the possibility of being easily assembled and disassembled as well as customized by the individual user.
The top in biomaterial was made by combining bio plastic deriving from corn and wood scraps heated inside a heat press, while the lower part, designed to be easily disassembled, was made in metal carpentry.
- Does your design take social and cultural challenges and human wellbeing into consideration?
The design project of "Autunno" table is a collaboration between different local entities, with the objective of create value from scraps and local waste. The project fully falls within the regenerative systems of local initiative, as it was designed and produced for the benefit of a specific local community of the Metropolitan City of Turin.
Furthermore, the project was possible thanks to the contribution of young designers and students from the Polytechnic of Turin.
- Does your design support sustainable production, embodying circular or regenerative design practices?
Yes. The top of the table is made of PLA, a bio-based plastic material fully biodegradable. The PLA top includes wood scraps from local territories.
- Does your design use principles of distribution and open source?
Yes. The product is entirely adaptable, it can be made using local resources, by combining bio plastic material and natural scraps from the area where the object was produced. The metal structure of the table can also be customized in different colors and finish.
- Does your design promote awareness of responsible design and consumption?
Plastiz has the objective to raise awareness about the plastic emergency, circular economy, and sustainable entrepreneurship. The "Autunno" table is a piece of furniture that can be completely disassembled, made of biodegradable material and compostable elements.