Recycled plastic sailing boat that questions the quantity of waste in and on the shores of waterways
VAU.R 308 consists in making visible that which is invisible of the Scheldt. The Scheldt is a European waterway that is threatened by the industrial zones that run alongside it. The significant presence of plastic waste in and on the shores has led us to question the extraction and reuse of this waste in order to confront our place in the cycle of materials and our ability to act as consumers / users by creating a recycled plastic sailboat inspired by the “Vaurien” sailboat that was designed by Herbulot in 1951. It was designed to make sailing accessible to the working class and was built using post-war plywood.
This project started at the ESAD Valenciennes, art & design school located on the shores of the Scheldt, resulted in a new sailboat questioning the life cycle, reuse and recycling in design. VAU.R aims to criticize the creation and use of plastic by highlighting the difficulties and opacity of its recycling cycle and questioning our mode of global consumption on a local scale.
Scheldt Local Sailboat borders water sailing recycling plastic waste cnc plastic processing
- Does your design take social and cultural challenges and human wellbeing into consideration?
Like the original boat called the Vaurien that inspired this project, we want to both make sailing more accessible and communicate about the plastic transformation, but also repair broken plastic boats which otherwise become waste.
- Does your design support sustainable production, embodying circular or regenerative design practices?
Vau.r308 uses single-use plastic waste in order to give it a second life cycle in the form of a long-life object . Waste collection and processing take place within a radius of less than 100 km. This sailing boat is made of a single family of plastic and avoids the use of other products for its construction unlike other boats. Therefore, it also aims to facilitate its own recycling process.
- Does your design use principles of distribution and open source?
Our project was not designed to be distributed in open-source yet, but 3D models and cnc cutting files could be distributed to people who want to on WikiFactory or other platforms in order to construct the Vau.R 308. (We already have a project on WF - https://projects.fablabs.io/+fabcitystore/vices-stool)
- Does your design promote awareness of responsible design and consumption?
The purpose of our design is to invest in several aspects :
- Raising awareness during waste collection, transformation and waterway cleaning, mainly associated with kids.
- Transformation and revalorization of the plastic material which is too often considered limited, weak and worthless.
- Questions about shipbuilding and difficulties that sailing clubs encounter regarding the recycling of their old boats. The same method that allows us to assemble the boat can also repair boats, prolonging their use and life instead of wasting them.
Social Media Accounts