The Distributed Design Market Platform acts as key exchange and networking platform for the European Maker movement. The initiative aims at promoting and improving the connection of makers and designers with the market (Maker to Market):
- foster the development and recognition of emerging European Maker and Design culture by supporting makers, their mobility and circulation of their work, providing them with international opportunities and highlighting the most outstanding talent;
- improve the connections among makers, designers and the market, providing thus tools, strategies, guides, contents, education, events, networks in order to enable them to commercialize their creations;
- stimulate and develop a genuine Europe-wide programming of Maker activities in order to contribute to the development of a vibrant and diverse European Maker and Design culture that can be experienced by a broad range of audience across Europe and beyond;
- stimulate the creation of work and of financially sustainable business activities by makers and designers;
- develop and manage a label awarding and recognizing Europe-wide makers and designers projects and initiatives in order to recognize and promote the excellence at European scale;
- promote the role of Europe in the cultural sector and its connection with the development and coordination of global platforms, networks, supply chains.
The Platform fosters mobility and development within creative disciplines dealing with Design and the Maker movement: creative players, makers, designers, artists, architects, scientists, students and others.
- Designers: the focus of the Platform is on the increasing number of designers and creative individuals that design and self-produce goods, often at a small scale, by integrating complementary resources they do not possess. This is possible thanks to a wide network of physical and digital platforms for learning and training, research, design, production, distribution and (micro) financing.
- Makers: the focus of the Platform is on the Maker movement as a loose global movement of individuals who focus on making physical projects but with a digital layer and digital tools, often with collaborative processes and the sharing of the digital files or documentation. Makers often meet and work in globally-networked laboratories such as Fab Labs, Makerspaces and Hackerspaces that provide access to a local and global community of like-minded actors and to several digital fabrication technologies able to manufacture easily and locally digital projects.
- Distributed Design: the focus of the Platform is on how all these phenomena, which integrate design skills and the ‘making’ approach, enable the development of new entrepreneurial types of professional producers. On one hand designers acquire more technological and practical skills, on the other hand, makers evolve their design attitude and capabilities. Together with the Maker movement the Design discipline is becoming thus Distributed Design, distributed among several actors, several approaches, several locations and laboratories. This project aims at improving such scenario and making it financially sustainable by connecting makers with the market, with the Makers to Market approach.